On a cold winter’s night there is nothing better than gathering in front of a fireplace with family and friends to enjoy the warm ambience and talking with each other. People would love to have fireplaces in open kitchen spaces, dining halls, living rooms and outdoor spaces. To enjoy a great ambience of warmth and light it is important for homeowners to find a fireplace design suitable to the room/outdoor environment.
Now, have a look at a few factors which needs to be considered while selecting a fireplace,
- Find out the main purpose of your fireplace, whether it is for heat-efficiency or aesthetics or a combination of both.
- You need to communicate the purpose of your fireplace to the salesperson to begin your selection process.
- If you are selecting a fireplace with a larger aesthetic importance make sure that the fireplace looks good when it is inactive.
- In order to select the best one suitable to your décor, it is good to research the available trim options.
- For a heat efficient fireplace consider a thermostat-controlled automatic fire place. This will be the ideal equipment for maintaining the temperature consistently.
- Avoid choosing a single fireplace for heating more than one room.
- While selecting a fireplace with fan arrangement, make sure that there is a separate speed control to adjust speed or turn on/off the fan when required. Remember that there will be some noise coming out from the fan.
- If you wish to use gas fireplaces, select a suitable control mechanism from options such as wall switches, remote controls and thermostats.
It is worthy to spend some time in sorting out the right fireplace in order to enjoy the marvelous feeling while sitting in front of the rightly selected fireplace.
Fireplace provides an elegant and warm environment when it is active. In order to prevent the elegance and warmth from getting diminished it is vital to provide sufficient maintenance to the fireplace when it is inactive. Apart from obtaining the full range of benefits, regular maintenance can eliminate safety risks from fireplaces completely.
Have a look at a few points which are ideal for maintenance of fireplaces.
Wood burning fireplace:
- Have professional inspections in the fireplace at least once every year.
- Clean the interior and floor of the fireplace regularly.
- The openings in the chimneys need to be kept free from rain, debris and living creatures. Also, the chimney cap has to be checked regularly for flaws.
- Eliminate chimney debris and ash at regular intervals.
- Check the interior of the chimney for creosote accumulation. Creosote is combustible and can lead to a potential fire hazard. In case of creosote accumulation, this needs to be removed immediately.
Gas burning Fireplaces:
- Make a thorough visual inspection before igniting the gas fireplace.
- Completely de-activate the unit before performing any maintenance operation.
- Check the ventilating system regularly and fix anything that blocks the system from proper functioning.
- Maintain clean and clear passage ways for the indoor circulation fan.
- If you are using fake logs in the fireplace make sure that you inspect and clean them.
- Clean the glass door at least once in every two months. Also make sure that there are no irregularities or dust buildup on the glass door.
Maintaining a fireplace regularly will help homeowners to be free from fireplace troubles and undesired expenses thus enjoy an efficient fireplace ambience for a longer period.
Having a Fireplace powered by bio-ethanol is the most eco-Friendly and clean methods for maintaining warmth in the body and mind. The fuel burns flawlessly with a clean and realistic glow. Bio-ethanol fireplace is very efficient as it transfers most of the generated heat to the room itself. It offers users the opportunity to regulate and control the flame as per their requirement. The fuel is considered as “green fuel” as it is a fully renewable resource without making any harmful emissions.
Types of Ethanol Fireplaces:
Bio-Ethanol fireplaces come in various styles and types:
- Table top – A portable fireplace of a smaller size
- Pillar – This gives a fire-floating appearance
- Wall Mounted – This is fixed to the wall
- Corner – This fireplace is usually placed in room corners
- Box – This has a glass cover and provides a multi-dimensional effect
Advantages of Ethanol Fireplaces:
Ethanol fireplaces are free from harmful emissions thus do not require a chimney and hence gives an opportunity for the manufacturers to have variable fireplace designs. Also regulation, startup and shutdown processes are much simpler with the latest remote controllable mechanism.
Lower operating costs:
As bio-ethanol does not require any chimneys, the initial investments are largely reduced. Apart from purchasing the fuel, there is almost no maintenance required for operating the fireplace, the cost of the fuel is affordable as well.
Ethanol is produced from plants and emits almost zero carbon-di-oxide when burnt. Ethanol produces no gases that are hazardous for human health. This fireplace is excellent for apartment dwellers as it does not affect the room’s air quality despite reduced ventilation.
Added up with attributes good for users and environment, bio-ethanol has occupied a greater place among all fuels used in fireplaces.
Sitting comfortably in front of a fireplace and enjoying its gentle radiation of heat is an incredible feeling of relaxation on a cool day. Today fireplaces are regarded as the most beautiful source of comfort as a result of the ambience it spreads wherever it has been placed. Also fireplaces look completely natural and its warmth has always been beneficial towards health.
Fireplaces come in various styles; there are options for portability as well.
Wall Mounted Fireplaces:
Wall mounted fireplaces are commonly found at homes located in colder areas. These fireplaces are built directly on the walls, mostly in living rooms. Wall mounted ones which use wood as the fuel will require a chimney to expel smoke. This type of fireplaces also comes with fuel types such as gas, electricity and gel.
Free Standing Fireplaces:
Freestanding fireplaces do not require any construction or alteration within the home building.. Depending on the burning mechanism, free standing fireplaces can be attached to the ceiling or kept completely freestanding. Similar to gas burning fireplaces, wood burning fireplaces would need a vent pipe attached to the ceiling to act as the chimney.
Potable fireplaces are just the smaller versions of the freestanding models with portability support. Movable fireplaces will be ideal for homes without dedicated fireplaces such as apartment and small rented homes. These often run on gel or electricity. Portable fireplaces are widely available in home improvement stores and are least expensive.
More than an option for getting warmth, fireplaces are truly the best possible decorative feature of a home counting on all its aesthetic features.